Update 7 on my new year’s resolutions
You can only improve what you track and measure. Therefore, I journal my progress for my 2020 resolutions.
- 25 books I made some nice progress on War & Peace and will finish by the end of the week, giving the second half of the month to read another book. I was hoping to have read 7 books by the first quarter of 2020, but what gives! It’s not a competition and I still plenty of time to go. Recently, I’m asking myself if my reading pace increases, just like my running pace increases from training.
- run 2 marathons, one sub 4h, one sub 3h I did a painfully exhausting 32k on Saturday. It was my longest recorded distance so far, and while it feels good to have this run in the bank for my aerobic base, I did feel very fatigued and dehydrated. I really need to take care of my water intake on such long runs, especially now that the weather get sunnier and warmer. With the virus spreading globally and events canceled left & right, I might not get a chance to run any official marathon this year. It would be quite the start to my running “career”, with a massive base building phase thanks to Covid19. My updated training log.
- visit Germany once Less homesick than I was after returning from Germany, but still have to keep this goal in mind for Eli & Jade.
- go on a bare-bones camping holiday with Jade & Eli
No update, it’s winter still and this is definitely something for summer, before Eli goes to kindergarten.
- sleep 7 to 8 hours per night, aim to be in bed by 9:30pm
Doing better than ever on this. The last two days I went to bed at freaking 9 o’clock in the evening. I am not even sure that the sun had set by then ;-) I get up for my morning runs between 5 and 5:15, easily allowing beautiful 7.5 - 8h of slumber every night.
- use a scale to check my weight every day
I was slacking! Most mornings I totally forgot about the blood pressure, and even the weighing myself sometimes only occured to me only much than later than I am aiming for. I actually want to measure myself right after waking up, while sitting on the edge of my bed, before getting up. Most mornings though I am still a little sleepy and simply go about my morning rituals before realizing what I missed. More training and consistency should edge this into my habits sooner or later.
- do not use my phone within 90 minutes of waking up or going to bed
Did pretty well this week with reading before sleeping and running right after waking up. It seems like I got into a habit here, and feel much better about this than just a few weeks ago.
- earn a promotion
It’s increasingly more difficult to think of a promotion this year. The whole world economy is sliding into a recession thanks to the epidemic, which eventually will effect my companies ability to grow and promote me. I am still figuring out other options and have my thoughts laser focused on finding a business opportunity that allows me to promote myself.
- write weekly progress of 2020 goals every Monday
Yeah, I meet half of this goal. It’s not always Mondays, but at least I sit down once a week to write down my progress and thoughts.
Eli has now been on Shengsi for about 2 months, and I haven’t seen him for 1 month now. Apparently there is no convenient transportation back to Hangzhou yet and stays on Shengsi for at least another weekend. I miss him dearly and just hope I get to see the little booger next weekend again. Nonetheless, last weekend with Jade was very nice. We had a beautiful Pizza at Angelo’s in Binjiang. Great thin crust and delicously melting mozzarella cheese. We also lounged around pretty comfortably and enjoyed ourselves during exercise, walking around or cooking meals together. The work week in Ningbo has finally seen some improvements in regards to the virus prevention measure. The travel restrictions around town have finally been lifted, my running trail is available again, and restaurants are slowly opening up. Work has been busy all week so far, but also pretty rewarding because I just got a shit ton of stuff done to the benefit of my reputation within the company. But really looking forward to the weekend now and wishing Eli would be in Hangzhou as well.
To that effect, turn your goals into habits and progress will be noticeable and much more attainable.
goals now running family focus writing resolutions update resolutions2020